Makeup takes time. I have the patience to do my hair, but I do not have as much patience to do my makeup, so I have to settle for doing the minimum. Although I have always been around people who wake up every morning and apply a full face of makeup, I have never been a big fan of it. I really just started getting into makeup over the last six months because I felt as if I wanted to try something different with my appearance. Well, I have learned and still learning by experimenting. I have watched a few tutorials, but they didn’t help much because they are too advanced, and I am just beginning. I have decided to settle with doing the least with my makeup because of the time it takes and my lack of skill with it. I understand that you may be experiencing the same things so I am going to share my makeup routine and what I have learned through trial and error.
I use e.l.f., Mary Kay, Covergirl, and Claire’s. My routine goes as follows:
- Apply primer. At first I did not use primer, but it helps with the smoothness of the foundation. I use e.l.f.’s mineral face primer. I use just enough to cover my face.
- Apply foundation. I have two foundations, which are from the Covergirl Queen Collection and Mary Kay. They are both great foundations, but I tend to wear the Mary Kay more because it feels lighter and oxidizes with my skin tone. A little goes a long way with the Mary Kay as well. I did not like wearing the liquid foundation at first because I would touch my face and it would get everywhere. I started applying less of it and it helped.
- Apply cheek color. I do this step sometimes to add a little more definition to my face, but it depends on my mood and my effort level. I use Mary Kay. I usually use a darker tone.
- Apply eye shadow. I use Claire’s and e.l.f.’s eye shadow. I usually blend light and dark brown together. I hardly use any color because I like my makeup to be very subtle. I have not had any problems with any brand of eye shadow. Eye shadow is eye shadow to me.
- Apply mascara. This is my favorite step. I always put on mascara even if I don’t do steps 1-4. It makes my eyes pop. I coat my lashes at least three times to help elongate them.
- Set your makeup. I use e.l.f.’s makeup mist and set spray. This enhances the look of my makeup.
There is obviously more to makeup than these six steps. Not being a makeup fanatic, this is how I get away with the minimum by doing the basics. However, my makeup collection is huge, even though I only use a select few out of it. I will be sticking with the basics for a while. If I ever decide to go all out with my makeup, I will let a professional hook me up.
How do you get away with doing the minimum? What products do you use?