Constantly I hear the pros and cons of people raving about co-washing your hair vs. shampooing and conditioning your hair. In this article I will discuss the my point of view on co-washing your hair vs. shampooing your hair.
Why I Support Shampooing Natural Hair
- Some people only wash their scalp with shampoo and allow the shampoo to clean the rest of their hair when they rinse their hair and the water/shampoo slides down the hair shaft.
- Eventually you have to do do something to decrease product build up on your scalp whether you use shampoo or a cleanser.
Why I Support Co-Washing Natural Hair
- Who doesn’t love the idea of constantly conditioning their hair?
- With this method you may not experience that squeaky clean feeling you have after washing your hair with shampoo because the essential oils in your hair, produced by your sebaceous glands, didn’t get removed.
- Might promote hair growth by increasing length retention.
People On YouTube That Only Use 1 Of The Methods Above & Their Results
Jaleesa Moses: http://youtu.be/mMqJhV372mE
Alicia James: http://youtu.be/clONWsJIsS4
Yolanda Renee: http://youtu.be/JK5OmwDZMy0
Using the Co-Wash Method only or the 2 step process of using Shampoo and Conditioner, is completely your choice. Some people experience product build up quicker when using only cowash method and some people experience tangling and more knots when using shampoo. As long as you keep your hair’s moisture and protein levels balanced, choose whatever method suits you best.