Over the past year or so, the questions I have been getting are “what products do you use on your hair?” and “what is your natural hair routine?” It is always difficult for me to answer these questions because I have tried so many products and switched up my routine several times. At the beginning of my natural hair journey, I only used products that my friends suggested. Well, eventually I realized that everyone’s hair is not the same, and what works for one person does not work for the next. However, I was willing to try all of the products as a source of trial and error, so that I could learn what did and did not work. Although I usually answer the question with the products that I currently use on my hair along with my current hair regimen, I tell them about the products I have tried that did not work for me and why they did not work.
When I first started wearing my hair natural, my hair regimen was very complicated simply because I was doing the most with my routine, especially when I did not know why I was using the products I was using and had read about the somewhere.
My routine consisted of:
- Washing my hair with Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Deep conditioning with 1 egg and mayonnaise for 30 minutes
- Rinsing my hair with Apple Cider Vinegar
- Taking three hours to do a twist out with a leave in conditioner, shea butter, and coconut oil
- Adding the shea butter and coconut oil mixture to my hair as my hair started to dry out throughout the week
I stuck with this routine for about a year. I learned a lot from the products I was using. I figured out that the protein from the egg and mayo really helped to grow and strengthen my hair. On the other hand, I learned that the coconut oil was drying out my hair; therefore I started mixing olive oil with the shea butter, which really helped to keep my hair moist.
When I saw that my hair was progressing in growth, I switched products and changed my routine.
This routine consisted of:
- Co-washing with Tresseme Naturals Conditioner
- Using the Paul Mitchell Leave in Conditioner
- Styling with up do’s using the shea butter and olive oil mixture
I reduced my regimen when I realized that I only really needed to keep my hair moisturized, and it would grow. However, I switched from this routine when I discovered my hair type. I started using products that suited my hair texture.
My current hair regimen consists of:
- Co-washing every two weeks with Tresseme Naturals Conditioner
- Shampooing with Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Styling using Shea Moisture’s Curl Soufle and olive oil
The evolution of my hair regimen has taught me that my hair texture will constantly change depending on how I care for it. I have also learned the level of moisture my hair holds depending on the products that I use.
How has your hair routine changed? What have you learned about your hair over time?